Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have gone Bonkers

Mawz has gone completely bananas over his Bessa R new rangefinder, and acquiring rangefinder lenses. His change of gear has negatively affected my camera upgrade plan, again. Meanwhile, I have gone bonkers buying yet another lens! I feel like a mouse picking up morsels after the man had his dinner. No, I feel like a gear whore who never get enough. No, cross that, I am a gear whore who never get enough! You see, I have been eyeing his Nikkor 35/1.4 for sometime, but being one of Mawz's favourite lenses, he would not let it go until the other lenses that make him lose his mind come around. In this case, the Nikon 50mm f1.4 LTM, and the Voigtlander Heliar 15mm f3.5.

His Nikkor 35/1.4 is finally in my hands, which feels heavy, but at the same time, my wallet feels light. Actually, make that down right empty.

The Nikkor 35/1.4 is indeed quite a nice lens. Sharp and has good details wide open, but contrast is very very low, giving you a kind of slight soft filter affect. If you shoot something that's black wide open, the captured image actually looks light blue. Completely usable, especially if you shoot black and white. At f2, this lens is bitingly sharp. In fact, it might be too sharp for portraiture use, as you will see pores and body hair sharp and clear.

So far, I have only shot a couple of dozen pictures with it, but it works well on the G1. Will try it on the 1D mark II and see how it goes.

My Love -- G1 & Nikkor 35mm f1.4 @ f1.4

No comments:

Post a Comment