Monday, February 15, 2010

My 5D on Its Last Leg


Robot Fish -- 5D & EF 85mm f1.2 @ f1.8. Larger Picture.

It started when I was in Ottawa a month ago. The auto focus system failed to work all of a sudden. I cleaned the contacts and pushed the mirror in and the camera started to work again. Today, while we were in Ontario Science Centre, the #%@$^% auto focus stopped working again. Tried my usual remedy but to no avail. It will have to go back to Canon and have it repaired.

This camera was bought used in August last year from Henry's Outlet store and I have shot roughly 10,000 frames in the last 6 months. That's a lot of pictures. Since I got the 5D, the Panasonic G1 didn't get much use and the 5D has been my primary camera.

I am really happy with the 5D. It's weak AA filter really makes the pictures crisp. The low light capability is great, even in today's standards. I routinely use ISO 800 and if necessary, ISO1600 and even 3200 (Max ISO). Contrast to what most people complain about, I am totally satisfied with the auto focus system on the 5D. It's not fast, but it's extremely accurate. The 6 hidden assist focus points really do their job well. To me, this camera has the most accurate auto focus system of all the cameras I have used.

The broken AF system on my 5D is downer, but when I bought the camera used, I knew what kind of chances I was getting. Hopefully it won't cost too much to get it repaired.

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    its interesting that you too seem to be taking a progression from G1 to 5D ... do you have a post talking about why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. obakesan, please see here:
    http://oldlenses.blogspot.com/2010/02/panasonic-g1-vs-canon-5d-which-do-i.html

    ReplyDelete