Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM Update


Ryan -- Canon 5D & Sigma EX 50mm f1.4 @ f1.8.

Though not used heavily, I have used the Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens for a few weeks now. Generally I am very happy with the optical performance of the lens. The focusing is also fine on my copy, on both the 5D and the T2i. Focus is quite and fast (though not as fast as the 50mm f1.2L).

The Good

1. Very pleasing bokeh. This is a good portrait lens at wide apertures, on both full frame and APS-C sensor cameras.

2. Well made. Better built than the Canon 50mm f1.4.

3. Optically excellent. Usable wide open.

4. Comes with effective and good looking hood. It's a $#%#@ $60 CAD accessory for the Canon.

Two negative points

1. The paint, especially on the hood, comes off very easily. I normally set the camera/lens down with the hood, and now there is a line of visible where the hood sits on the surface. If you are baby your stuff, you should be aware of this.

2. Expensive. For a normal 50mm f1.4 lens, it's quite a bit more than the OEM Canon 50mm f1.4, although, the Sigma is a better lens optically as well as better made. Sigma products do not hold the resale value very well traditionally, so keep that in mind if you do change equipment often.

The Hood

The hood I was complaining about? It was all my fault. I am so used to Canon lenses where hoods fit by a light twist. The Sigma needs a considerable more force to twist it until it clicks. I did not turn it hard enough to lock it in place, thus it was very loose. All my fault and I am quite happy with the hood. It's long enough for effective shade. The snuggle fit should protect the lens better should it drop on the hood.

1 comment:

  1. "...I did not turn it hard enough to lock it in place, thus it was very loose. All my fault ..."

    :)))))

    ReplyDelete