Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC Sample

Red & White -- NEX-5 & Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC. Click for larger.

The more I use the Canon FD lenses, the more I feel they are way under appreciated.  I especially like the starndard 50/55mm lenses, from FL to nFD mount and all of them are excellent.  Well made, optically excellent and all have very pleasing bokeh.  The problem is, there are so many variant on the  Canon FD 50/55mm lenses that just having one of each will cost a small fortune, not to mention the exceptionally good FD 24mm f1.4L, FD 85mm f1.2L, FD 135mm f2, and the jaw dropping FD 200mm f1.8L which was the brother of the superb EF 200mm f1.8L.  Perhaps, it's better to concentrate on the FD line than having so many other brands.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see a post about more modern lenses and ones that I can relate to (not a bad thing!) Having shot with Canon FD and owning quite a few of the lenses, including the 24mm F/1.4L, 50mm F/1.2L and the 85mm F/1.2L. The 135mm F/2 was also a great lens, but really didn't care for the 35mm F/2 as I thought the focusing was just not right. Preferred the FDn line over the older breach lock mount, probably more because of the age (newer would be better in terms of mechanics?) and easier to mount and dismount. Looking forward to reading and viewing more of you Canon FD posts and maybe how those same lenses compare with the NEX versus the Panasonic G1 (still need to get an adapter!) Mahalo, Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Thomas: Boy, you have used pretty much most of the best FD lenses already, save for the long ones. I heard that the 24mm f2 and the 28mm f2 nFDs are excellent lenses too. Too bad I haven't gotten a chance to try them. I agree with you regarding the mount. BL is pain in the rear. As for the M43 vs NEX, personally I think the G1 files are slightly cleaner than the NEX in low ISO, but it's like splitting hair though. Different crop factor so it's hard to compare. I have basically stopped using the G1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad I no longer own those lenses! The 200mm F/2.8 (last model) wasn't too bad as well as the 17mm F/4 and 85mm F/1.8 (great for times when you need to focus fast, like basketball!) Luckily when I needed a fast, long glass, I was able to pick up a Canon EF 300mm F/2.8 and with both teleconverters, I was all set! Never owned the F/2 versions of either the 24mm or 28 and thought the 28mm F/2.8 was okay, but wasn't too happy with both version (SSC and FDn) of Canon's 24mm F/2.8. This is why I am leaning more toward the 28mm F/2.8, plus it's much cheaper! Glad to hear that the G1 still has some potential, although I am finding that using it with my Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L is not producing what I was hoping. Maybe there's a general issue with telephoto lenses, just like there is with super wide? Anything you noticed, either with the G1 or NEX? Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete