Thursday, July 12, 2012

Canon's Upcoming EVIL Camera

The rumor mill is in full swing regarding the new Canon EVIL camera that's coming on the 23rd of this month.  The good news is that instead of the M4/3 sized sensor used on the G1X, Canon will be using the APS-C (presumably same 1.6x size as all the Canon crop cameras use, except the 1D series).  Specs are still sketchy, but I really hope the flange focal distance will be short like the 20mm of the M4/3 mount, otherwise the wonderful M lenses will not be usable, and that will be a huge disappointment to many.

For some reason, I am not as excited as I thought I would be.  Sure, the camera will probably be good, but the EVIL camera market has matured to a point where most EVIL cameras are already excellent, especially since the OM-D EM-5, which is a benchmark of a camera for M4/3.  It would be tough for Canon to surpass it in terms of image quality (judging from their current 1.6x sensors) and usability.  I didn't notice it before, but lately when I look at the images I shot with the Canon 1D III, they clearly lack the dynamic range that the pictures from the NEX-5N have in high contrast situations.  I prefer (or maybe I am used to) the Sony image.

Regardless, I am eager to find out what Canon has to offer.  Will it be another me-too camera, or something that causes a paradigm shift in the EVIL camera industry?  Somehow I am not holding my breathe for the latter, but I will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Red Leaf -- NEX-5N & Zeiss Ikon Ernostar 110mm f1.9 Projection Lens.

2 comments:

  1. I guess that the reason for lack of excitment is at this stage there are already so many other good choices to pick: m4/3 or NEX.

    Seems that Canon is late to the table, so if they don't have anything compelling I'm willing to bet they're not a big seller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! If the camera is a me-too, it will become a niche product, unless they price it very low.

      Delete