Monday, October 1, 2012

A New Photo Book Project

I have finally started to make one of the two books that I said I was going to do at the beginning of the year. Unlike others, who may not have enough material for the book, I have the opposite problem - there are too many pictures to choose from.  I started with the easy one, I call it "The Alt Lens Book" that has a section for cine lenses, normal manual focus lenses, projection lenses, enlarging lenses, and "do it yourself" lenses.  There will be two pictures for each lens.  Already, I am not even done with cine lenses, and already am at page 42 of the book.  I would imagine that if I use all the lenses I ever used in this book, it will run into hundreds of pages, so I will have to drop some of them.  The book will be 8x10 in size, probably going to be around 150 to 200 pages.

The service that I am using for the book is called Blurb.  I did two books already with them, one for my sister-in-law's wedding, and another for a co-worker.  The books came out pretty good, and it's the cheapest I could find.  Now they also have different grades of paper to choose from, which was not available when I did the two books.  The BookSmart software provided is easy to work with.

Once the book is done, I will provide a link to the book so that if anyone is interested, you can take a look at it.  That's one of the nice things about Blurb is that once a book is printed, it's available for others to browse.  You can also list it for sale on their site, if you want to.  For Canadians, they now have a Canadian division and you can pay in Canadian dollars, instead of US.  Again, this is new and was not available when I did my other books.

Screen shot of my book in progress.  Click for larger.

7 comments:

  1. I will be first in line! What an incredible resource you are putting together. I think too, that it must be the first of its kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cool! Love to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!!!!

    I'm anxious to see the section od do DIY, that is the part taht I love much of your web.

    I like to try to use old lenses in my dsrl too.

    Regards from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all. It will take some time, unfortunately. Hoping to get it done before end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. It will be like the Leica Compendium (by Erwin Puts) for the rest of us. I have done 3 photo books with AdoramaPix which I am happy with. They may not have a Canadian branch, though.

    Cheers,
    -santo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nothing like that. Erwin Puts himself is a Leica encyclopedia!

      Delete