Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM - The New King?

One of my favourite bloggers, Roger Cicala at Lens Rentals has posted a first look at the new Sigma 35mm f1.4 lens.  The first of Sigma's Art lens line.  Like anyone who has been around the photography block a few times, I have had my share of the Sigma lenses.  Few of them didn't work with newer Canon bodies, so it was always a gamble when buying a Sigma lens, since Sigma does not pay Canon any loyalty on the EF lens protocols, they just reverse engineered it.  But the new lenses have gotten better.  I have had the Sigma 50mm f1.4 for a couple of years and it's one fantastic lens.  I have kept it even when I already have a Canon 50mm f1.2L, because it's such a good lens.

But, that was then, and this is now.

Since the passing of Mr. Yamaki, the founder of Sigma, his son, Kazuto Yamaki has taken over the helm at Sigma.  We have already seen many changes from him and this is a good sign.  I am excited about the new lenses that Sigma is introducing, for a few reasons.  One of them is price.  The Sigma 35mm f1.4 is about half the price of the Canon version.  The other is optical performance.  From the test performed by Roger, the Sigma is actually better than the Canon equivalent.  Lastly, the aspect of connecting the lens to a computer and do all kinds of fine tuning intrigues me.  Apparently, all new Sigma lenses can be tuned by the user with an optional USB dock.  Even zooms can be adjusted for focus accuracy at different focal lengths!  Imagine that.

Should I sell my Canon 35mm f1.4L?  Likely not, since it's one of Canon best wide angle lenses.  But if you are looking for a new lens, the Sigma is worth looking into.

Megan & William, 2007 - Canon 20D & EF 35mm f1.4L. Click for larger.

5 comments:

  1. Agreed, I am very keen to read some reviews on this lens too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I look forward to the other new lenses from Sigma, specifically the revamped 20mm f1.8 and the 24mm f1.8.

      Delete
    2. I have the current 20mm f1.8. Optically its really just OK, but the real benefit is the 18cm close focus distance, which is really cool.

      PS - Get anything at the show at Don Valley Hotel today?

      Delete
    3. James, I completely forgot about the camera show today. I don't think I missed anything as the last time I went there, I didn't get any good deals or anything unusual. Oh well, there will be another one coming in a few months.

      Delete
    4. I got a Nikon 28-200mm G lens for $50 (with a worthless F55) and a collection of Leica, Nikon and B+W filters for $25. I thought these were good deals.

      Delete