Friday, March 29, 2013

Back to Full Frame

Yesterday I picked up not one, but two full frame bodies, out of terrible bad timing. I had a day off yesterday so I decided to visit the Outlet Store, since they still had the 25% off on everything in the store. I was expecting to see a used 5D Mark II, or an Olympus OM-D EM-5. Needless to say, they had neither, but there was a mint condition 5D Classic and I bought it.

As soon as I got home, I received an email from a 5D II seller, whom I emailed earlier, but didn't get an answer, told me that the camera was still available. That's how I ended up with two bodies. Unfortunately, the Outlet Store no longer give refunds anymore, so now I have to sell the 5D myself. The 5D II is very well used with high shutter count, but it was a good price and it came with a Canon 40mm f2.8 FTM STM lens.

Man, did I miss the wide angle on my old lenses! It's good to see these lenses perform as they were designed. A 20mm lens is no longer a 30mm mini wide angle, but a true ultra wide angle lens. In fact, the Pentax-M 20mm f4 is such a fabulous lens on the 5D II with sharpness to the corners I am so glad I didn't sell it.

One of the nasty issues with the original non live-view enabled full frame Canon cameras was the compatibility with certain lenses; at infinity, the lens would hit the mirror. But, live-view has solved this annoying problem. With the mirror flipped up, this is no longer a pain in the rear, though you still can't use the optical viewfinder to focus, but I can accept that limitation.

Well, this does not mean I am abandoning NEX or Micro 4/3. In fact, I still want to buy an OM-D EM-5, when the price is much lower.

United Metropolitan Church - Canon 5D Mark II & Pentax-M 20mm f4

5 comments:

  1. Full Frame Rulz. I was so happy when I went back to a full frame camera late last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the place where I love full frame. With wide and 'normal' lenses.

    The crop sensor cameras are very helpful with telephoto, giving advantage to lenses that they wouldn't have and with cameras like the G series panasonic having EVF zoom focus means I get better focused images of things which I just wouldn't get with the EOS systems AF.

    I have considered buying a 5D series 1 but I am somehow spoiled by the lightness of the m4/3 G series cameras

    :-)

    still, nothing beaths a full frame for a shallow normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right about the size/weight of a DSLR. The 5D II is significantly larger and heavier than the NEX-6, but this does not bother me too much. I like the looks from full frame sensor and the fact that it gives me wide angles. I think full frame and mirrorless are complementary. Best to have full frame and APS-C, and Micro 4/3 and maybe CX too :)

      Delete
  3. @Obakesan - You're right, 50mm and under is where full frame is worth its weight in gold. I have just purchased a Sigma 35mm f1.4 and a Nikon 28mm f1.8 for my full frame D600, and the results are stunning!

    ReplyDelete