Friday, August 15, 2014

Belleville - A Short Visit

Our IT department held the off-site meeting in Belleville this year. I planned to take advantage of this opportunity to visit this nice little town of about 50,000 people, so I brought my bike with me. Alas, the weather was not cooperating. By the time our conference was finished, it started to rain. Still, I rode to Belleville downtown for a short visit, and took a few pictures.

The city of Belleville was first settled by the United Empire Loyalists in the early 1800s. Its local college is named the Loyalist College, in honour of the settlers. The town is a nice mix of old and new but it feels very different than big cities like Toronto. It has an aura of a European city. I like it.

I noticed there are many empty shops, and shops that were out of business; a sign that the economy isn't doing well. The town itself is very nice. Clean, well kept, and lots of greens. Too bad I didn't get to explore it longer.

Belleville City Hall on the right. You can see the bridge near the left, which was made of iron and built in 1858 - Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8 ZA & Sony A7. Click for larger.

The Armouries. If you want to read its very interesting history, try here - Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8 ZA & Sony A7. Click for larger.

Front Street - Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8 ZA & Sony A7. Click for larger.

Belleville City Hall - Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8 ZA & Sony A7.


2 comments:

  1. Your images of Belleville show a lovely town that looks very British indeed. Just the roads seem a little bit more wide. You provide a wonderful impression of this town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MAWK. I wish I had more time to explore it further, but who knows, might go back and have another visit.

      Delete