Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Gift From John

I am extremely fortunate, and very blessed, to have "met" so many wonderful people in my life around the world; some I have never actually met and only interacted through the internet, and others I actually met face to face.  John was one of those that I have met.  He bought my Canon 1D III, and he brought with him an Aires 4.5cm f1.9 rangefinder lens to give me as a gift.  He knew me through my blog.  I am very grateful to John, and all who have been so generous to me.

The Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.9 lens has a proprietory lens mount, and the focus, presumably is on the camera body since the lens does not have it.  The aperture does not completely open at maximum.  Perhaps that may have caused the strange looking, but still interesting bokeh.  The lens is quite sharp, especially when stopped down.  It has decentering problem, no doubt caused by my home made adapter.  In all, an uncommon lens that produces interesting results.  Thanks John!

Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.9.  Click for larger.

All pictures below were taken with the Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.9 and Sony A7



10 comments:

  1. as a kid I used my Dad's Aires Viscount with that lens. It was always my goto camera if I could be allowed to use it. I knew from enlarging my negs that it gave much better results than the Color Apotar lens in my Agfa silette.

    its so nice to see it projecting its light onto modern stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that this lens is very sharp and is full of characters.

      Delete
    2. Also, you are right about the Apotar. I don't like it much either.

      Delete
  2. Hi Yu-Lin, could you share how you adapted this lens to the A7? I really like the look of this lens and would be grateful for any information. Cheers - Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray,

      I glued a 52mm filter ring to the back of the lens and screws that on the Yeenon 18-33mm focus helicoid. Very simple :) Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Thanks! I have read your previous post about the Yeenon, and if I'm not mistaken, it's not easy to come by. Would using a M42/Nikon focusing helicoid work or do you reckon the opening would cause problems? The internal circumference of these tubes is about 34mm

    Also, am I correct in assuming that the lens itself has a focusing helicoid? If so, my other route would be to try and fashion an adapter using my 3d printer, once I figure out the flange distance.

    You've got me going down a slippery slope :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    May I ask if this lens would be usable for in a canon full frame camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lens will not work on Canon DSLRs without major surgery. The flange is just too short.

      Delete
  5. I see... Many thanks for your help. However, how can i know what projector lens would work on a full Frame camera? I hear that any projector lens above 70mm would work. Do you have any information on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on the lens. I have many projection lenses that are 75mm or longer but not usable on Canon EF mount. These include Kowa Prominar 75mm f1.9, Ernostar 120mm f1.9, Visionar 92mm and 109mm f1.6, and more. Most newer projection lenses have very short flange and not usable on DSLRs.

      Delete