Monday, May 30, 2016

A New Adventure Begins

Yesterday, with my wife's encouragement, I purchased a used Taig Micro Lathe II.  This was not my original plan at all, even though I wanted a Taig.

Originally I planned to buy the Taig Micro Lathe with the most basic setup, and gradually add new accessories as needed.  In fact, I already bought the AC motor, as well as a variable speed DC motor that I took out from a treadmill, and was ready to order the Taig when I found this used one in the local buy & sell, with many accessories, including both a 3-jaw and 4-jaw chuck, milling attachment with optional vice, set of collets, a few tool posts and some tool bits already included in my wish list, for hundreds of dollars less than new.  The only thing I was hoping to have included were some end-mill cutters, but that's not a big deal.

The whole setup is very small.  All fits on a small table and does not take up a lot of space.

I am really excited.  It has been my dream to own a machine that I can actually use to make stuff, instead of most tools that I use to fix stuff.  Now all I need is to find a place to buy some metal stock so that I can start learning.  It will probably take me months to get reasonably good at this but I have so many broken/badly converted lenses that I can practice with :)

On with the new adventure!  I will keep everyone posted on the progress with (hopefully) regular blog updates.

Taig Micro Lathe II

14 comments:

  1. Yu-Lin Chan, Lens Master, is there any I can send you a personal message or e-mail and ask for some advice on anamorphic lenses? I'm moving my photography me and more into cinematic territory. I read your old post about anamorphic, I understand the concept but I've never seen or used one. Also, the adapters won't be easy to find here in Brazil, so I would be very glad if you could share some advice. Here is my Instagram portfolio, in case it helps you decide whether or not it's worth your time... @irineucarlos . Many thanks, and many many thanks for all the articles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos, you can email me at yulinchan@gmail.com. However, I do not have any experience with anamorphic lenses. I do have a humongous ISCO 2x anamorphic lens which I never used.

      Delete
  2. Congrats, my friend!
    Have a lot of fun with your new toy ... err ... investment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! Investment is the right word :) Invest in knowledge, or quest for knowledge :)

      Delete
  3. well well well ... looking fwd to seeing what you can do with this little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous!!!

    Have fun. Looking forward to what "turns" out.
    I was thinking of possibly taking a class. Will have to see if there are any in Community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I think Youtube has very good videos on the basics, but at the end, you will still have to do it yourself :)

      Delete
  5. Hi I would like to buy me too.... but i've not the space...

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations! am sure you'll be good at using the lathe. regards also to your supportive wife about buying new toys. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations! am sure you'll be good at using the lathe. regards also to your supportive wife about buying new toys. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmanuel! I am learning and it's going well. Still waiting for many accessories to arrive (very small tap/drill bits, etc). I am blessed that my wife supports my hobby. It makes a world of difference.

      Delete